The sport of dirt biking can open up a new world of fun and excitement. But before you hit the trail, there is some gear that you will need to buy. So, what things do dirt bike riders need?
The most important equipment for dirt bike riders is:
- Helmet and neck brace
- Elbow and knee protection
- Riding gear
- Gloves and palm protectors
- Bike stand
- Pit matt
- Work light
- Maintenance tools
- Utility jugs
- Transport system
Getting the right gear is an essential first step to conquering the tracks. This will ensure that you have everything you need to take care of your bike and protect yourself from accidents. Read on to break down this list and give you a better idea of what you should be looking for.
Let’s start with one of the most important pieces of safety equipment. This will help to protect your neck and spine if you have an accident. This is why tracks won’t allow you to ride or race if you’re not wearing a helmet.
There are a few things to consider when shopping for a helmet:
- Should have a snug fit. This offers better protection and will ensure that you aren’t irritated by the helmet shifting around as you are riding.
- Incorporates MIPS technology. This stands forMulti-Directional Impact Protection System. The goal is to limit the amount of brain damage experienced during a serious crash.
- Comfortable. It’s often best to try on your helmet in person, so you know how comfortable it will be.
You might want to consider pairing your helmet with a neck brace. Technically, this piece of safety equipment isn’t needed. But it’s still a good idea, particularly for beginners.
The neck brace will help protect your spine during an accident. When you are learning to ride a dirt bike, you will crash. Everyone does. So, it’s a good idea to take some extra precautions to ensure that the only thing injured is your pride. When choosing a neck brace, it’s best to choose something that offers a snug fit.
You should also consider investing in some body armor, alongside some knee and elbow pads. This will reduce the chances that you will injure yourself during a crash. These should be durable, with the ability to adjust them to better fit your body.
The next thing to consider is what riding gear you are going to use. There are a few types of equipment you will need to use. Let’s run through some of the most important items.
This is a vital piece of safety equipment, keeping dirt and small rocks out of your eyes while you are riding. Plus, they’ll be able to give you a clear vision, even when you are dealing with mud on the track.
There are a few things to look for when you are looking for a pair of goggles. This includes:
- Adjustable straps.This ensures that they will sit comfortably on your head when riding.
- Tough material. They will need to deal with small stones and mud, so you want to get something that can thrive in harsh conditions.
- Type of removable lens. The most common way to stop mud from blocking your vision is by using a removable lens system. This allows you to tear off the lens when they become too dirty.
At Risk Racing, we have a few types of goggles to choose from. The best is theJ.A.C V3. Pair this up with the Ripper auto roll-off and you’ve got a hands-free solution to clear your view.
The next thing to consider is the type of gear you will use when riding your dirt bike. Here is some of the gear you can use:
- Jerseys. It’s a good idea to make sure that you are choosing a jersey that will be comfortable. This often means using lightweight, breathable material. You can also find materials that help you wick away the sweat.
- Pants. You should be looking for durable pants, which will last for many years to come. They should also be flexible, breathable, and comfortable.
Not only are these items important to protect you on the track, but they can also help you ride in style. If you want, you can check out thelatest stylish riding gear designs from Risk Racing.
It should be noted that you might want to use some base layers. These will help keep you warm during the winter months.
Gloves And Palm Protectors
It’s a good idea to wear gloves when you are riding a dirt bike. This will ensure that you don’t get a gravel rash and can maintain a strong grip on the controls. For this reason, you should choose something that is made of a durable material and is flexible.
You should also consider wearing palm protectors, which sit inside your gloves. While not essential, they can help protect you from blisters, by lessening the bike vibrations and rubbing friction. Not only are blisters painful but there is also the risk that they will become infected and cause serious medical problems. Risk Racing sells somepalm protectors to ensure that this doesn’t happen to you.
Finally, you might want to consider getting a sturdy pair of boots. These will protect your feet from any rocks or sticks that are flung up on the track. Again, it’s best to try these on. This ensures that they will be comfortable.
Many dirt bikes won’t come with a bike stand. As a result, you will need to purchase one separately. This will give you somewhere to put your bike as you are repairing it. It will also come in handy when you are storing it.
There are a few things to consider when you are making this purchase. These elements include:
- Portability. You will need to take the stand to the track with you, so it makes sense to get something that is lightweight and easy to fold.
- Easy to use. You should be able to set your bike on the stand within a few seconds.
- Features. There are a few features that can help set the top stands apart. For example, you might want to get something with the ability to adjust the stand angle. This will come in handy when you are working on your bike.
- Durability. Bike stands should be built to last for a long time.
It should be noted that you can use anything as a bike stand. Some riders prefer to put their bikes on milk crates. But it will often be best to spend a little more money to get a high-quality stand. This will pay dividends, making it a lot easier to maintain your bike.
At Risk Racing, we have two types of stands for you to choose from. First, you might want to choose theRR1 Ride-On Stand. As the name suggests, this takes the stress out of lifting your bike onto the stand. It also has a durable rubber mat to grip your bike firmly and only weighs 17 pounds.
The next option to consider is theA.T.S. Adjustable Top Magnetic Motocross Stand. This can be adjusted to suit your dirt bike, making it suitable for all models. This feature also comes in handy when you are maintaining the bike. In addition, it has a magnetic metal panel, which you can use to store your tools and any loose nuts and bolts within close reach.
It’s essential that dirt bike riders can take care of their vehicles. Let’s look at some of the things you’ll need to help you with this.
This is intended to create a flat environment for your bike stand. Plus, it will stop the stand from moving around too much. If you want, you can use theRisk Racing Factory Motocross Pit Floor Mat. Not only is this stylish, but it is also designed to work perfectly with the RR1 Ride-On Stand.
It’s a lot easier to maintain your bike if you can see what you are doing. This is where a high-quality work light comes in. When you are choosing something for your dirt bike garage or pit area, it’s best to choose something with a magnetic back. This will allow you to attach it to the stand, rather than having to hold the light in one hand. It’s also a good idea to have something adjustable, so you can have the light exactly where you want it. We offer a fewwork lights, depending on the situation you are facing.
You won’t need to have a huge amount of mechanical skill to take care of your dirt bike. But you should be equipped to do some of the basic maintenance yourself. Here are some of thetools you should consider having in your workshop:
- Tire pressure gauge
- Screwdriver set
- Set of Allen wrenches
- Spare nuts and bolts
- Spoke wrench
- Set of T Handles
- Tire pump
- Valve Stem Tool
- Chain wax
Nothing is more irritating than preparing for a race and noticing a leaky fork seal. This can be especially annoying on a multi-day event, where you might have to forfeit a chance at winning, and face an expensive repair bill when you get back home.
Thankfully, there is a simple way to avoid this situation. You can use theSeal Doctor. This will slot over the fork, slide up into the seal, and pull out any debris within seconds allowing you to keep on riding. Plus, you don’t need any technical experience to use it, and it’s compact enough to store in your bag on a trail ride.
When you’re heading to the track, it’s a good idea to bring some fuel with you. This is why having a utility jug is important. Choosing something made of durable plastic is vital, as you don’t want to be leaking fuel. Plus, it helps to have something that has an adjustable handle and is easy to pour. This is why many riders opt to use theEZ Utility Jug.
Once you have all the safety gear needed to ride your bike and the tools to maintain it, you’re ready to hit the track. There’s just one problem. You need to transport your bike to the track. This means securing it in your transport vehicle/trailer.
Some people opt to use a series of ropes and ties to hold it in place. But this can take a long time, and there’s no guarantee that the bike won’t fall over and get scratched. Thankfully, there is an alternative. You can use theLock N Load system. This allows you to click your bike into place within seconds.
You can put multiple Lock N Load racks in the back of your truck, allowing you to transport multiple dirt bikes with ease.
Other Items To Take With You
We’ve covered some of the most important items to take to the track with you. But there are a few other pieces of gear that you might want to have. Let’s briefly look at some of these items:
- Hydration packs.Riding a dirt bike can be thirsty work, particularly during the hot summer months. It’s a good idea to take a hydration pack to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. You can also add someelectrolytes to the mix.
- Canopy tents.On a longer event, you might want to set up acanopy tent. This will give you a shaded place to work on your bike.
- Lock. Your dirt bike can represent a large investment. A simple bike lock can stop someone from stealing it and end up saving you thousands.
- Hour meter. This simple device allows you to track how long you have been riding the bike. This is a good way for beginners to track their progress. It’s also a good way to monitor when you need to replace your parts.
- Gear bag. It can help to have a dedicated bag for your jerseys and safety gear. This ensures that you’ll be able to ride at a moment’s notice.
- Backpack. If you’re going on a longer ride, you should carry some food and water with you. It’s also a good idea to have a basic repair kit and some first aid supplies.
There are a few key accessories that a good dirt biker needs. Once you have this gear, you’ll be equipped to take on any track in the world.
If you want to know more about Shuangye electric bikes or have any questions about our electric bikes/smart helmet and their components, please feel free to reach out to our customer service. We are always here to assist you.